As relationships progress, it’s easy for couples to get into a routine and begin to take each other for granted. Though there’s a lot to be said for doing little things to show your significant other that you love them, it helps to keep the spark in your relationship if you go above and beyond for them once in awhile. Again, it’s not about spending hundreds of dollars on jewellery or expensive gifts to show them how much they mean to you, but if you can afford it, splurge on yourselves when you can. It’s more about the quality of what you do together, rather than the quantity. Below is a list of 25 ideas to get you started:
1. Schedule a couples’ massage. Most guys are uneasy about this at first, but if they’re open to it, they’ll love it!
2. Book a romantic night at a local bed and breakfast. This is especially fun if you’re staying in an old house with a lot of history and “character”.
3. Take a class — try something fun and interactive like dancing or cooking.
4. Get a schedule for your local minor league sports team and go to a game. The minor league tickets are much more affordable than the major leagues.
5. Reserve a cabin in the woods or near a lake for a weekend.
6. Plant a garden and maintain it together.
7. Get tickets for a local play or music event. Lots of communities have free concerts, or even stage plays in the park, so bring a blanket and enjoy.
8. Go to a wine tasting. You’ll learn about the different varieties and how they’re made, and you can impress your friends with your new knowledge at your next Game Night!
9. Tackle a project around the house together. Spend a day or a weekend painting a bedroom or two, get that garage cleared out, or rearrange your furniture.
10. Write a love poem. If writing’s not your style, find a romantic poem and copy it for them. Leave it where they can find it, and write a little meaningful note to go along with it.
11. Send and receive love letters. This is an especially meaningful gesture in our tech-crazy world. Tell them how much they mean to you, but you don’t have to go overboard on the mushy sentiments. They’ll be touched that you’re putting your feelings toward them into words.
12. Find out what their favorite meal is and cook it for them.
13. Buy them flowers for no reason. This works for guys, too (though they’d never admit it). 'Just because' gifts are always fantastic.
14. Try something new together. Have you talked about taking motorcycle classes to get your licence, taking a road trip to somewhere exciting, or rock climbing? Do it!
15. Spend a day wandering around flea markets, farmers’ markets or antique shops. Visiting these places is a bit like going on a treasure hunt — you never know what kind of unique items you might find. You can usually get pretty good deals, too.
16. Tell them you love them every chance you get.
17. Read a book the other recommends so you can discuss it with them. Or better yet, start your own little book club. Recruit other couples to join you if possible.
18. Serve them breakfast in bed.
19. Take a train ride. Train travel is very romantic and exotic, especially in the autumn months when the leaves change colour.
20. Take on the chore the other one dislikes most.
21. Get up and dance together spontaneously. It’s a good excuse to practice the steps you’re learning in your class (see item #3).
22. Always remember the milestone dates in your relationship (first date, first kiss, etc.) and celebrate accordingly.
23. Save those important mementos from your dates — ticket stubs, programmes, etc. so you can chronicle your time together. Make a scrapbook if you’re especially crafty.
24. Give the other one a back rub or a foot massage after a rough day.
25. Have a picnic, even if it’s in your living room.