There’s a nervousness, thrill, and excitement that occurs when meeting a person for the first time face to face. Yet amongst the thrill, remember to always be on your guard when going out on a date with someone you barely know.
Here are 12 tips on dating safety to help you get started:
1. Arrange to meet him somewhere neutral. Don’t let him pick you up from your home.
2. Meet in public places. If possible, double date or go out with a group of people.
3. Go dutch by paying half of the bill. That way you won’t feel under any obligation to return the favour.
4. Remember that alcohol affects your judgment and lessens your inhibitions. If you are drinking, keep your drink in sight at all times and don’t get so drunk that you don’t know what you are doing.
5. Use your own mode of transportation. And leave with a full tank of petrol.
6. Don't assume that a man is safe just because he claims to be religious.
7. Don’t let him know where you live. If you want to see him again, arrange a second date and then take it from there.
8. Avoid secluded areas such as parks.
9. Listen to your gut instinct. If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. And if you haven’t met him before, and you know at the beginning of the date that something doesn’t feel right, then leave immediately.
10. Always let someone else know where you're going and who you'll be with. You might even consider arranging a time to call and check in. Or you could arrange to meet up with friends later that night.
11. Give him your cell phone number instead of your home phone number. Your home phone number can easily be traced back to your home address.
12. Always remain alert. Even if you’re having a blast and the chemistry is great, it’s a good idea to remain alert the whole evening. Make sure you have a mobile phone on you.
Dating safely is very important. In the initial stages of dating, you are still getting to know someone you know little about. By creating a safe environment to get to know the person, you’re creating a better situation for yourself.